Themedy customers can receive a 20% discount to WP Rocket in the support forums!
A few months ago we switched our WordPress caching plugin to WP Rocket, and haven’t looked back since.
What is a Caching Plugin?
Simply put, these plugins use various techniques to attempt to speed up your sites load time and reduce the amount of resources needed on your server to run your site.
If you have many visitors visiting various pages on your website at the same time, your hosting account may start to strain and eventually buckle. That’s because you have been allocated a certain amount of resources (power) to run your site. Trying to push out all this information at once could start to use all those resources. At that point your server will start to load the pages for new visitors slower, while it’s trying to catch up on all the people that loaded your page first.
So how does page caching work?
Page caching loads the pages of your site first and stores a copy of that page in a format that your server can load much faster and more efficiently. That copy is a “cached” version – and one of the main benefits of a cached page is your database calls will be reduced or eliminated all together. Since database calls can be taxing on your server, you will be able to handle many more simultaneous site visitors through the use of page caching alone.
Does everyone need a cache plugin?
Not necessarily, if you are on a low traffic site and with a relatively decent hosting provider your gains might not be that noticeable (however even then there can be some good gains in loading time). However, if your hosting is on the cheaper side or you receive a lot of daily traffic a caching plugin will bring you considerable gains in site load time.
Enter WP Rocket
There are a lot of various options for caching in the WordPress space, some free, free with paid addons & straight paid plugins. I’ve experimented with most of them over the years but currently I’m in love with WP Rocket.
Why? One word… simplicity. WP Rocket is extremely straight forward to get running with noticeable benefits from just hitting “activate” on your plugins screen. Many of the other plugins I’ve used have taken multiple steps to get up and running the way I’ve wanted them to.
Don’t be mistaken by it’s simple setup – if you want to take it further you can dig into the simple options page for even more speed inducing tweaks.
Some Great Features of WP Rocket:
- One click activation of it’s most important features like page caching.
- Built in automatic support for WooCommerce, Easy Digital Download, Jigoshop, iThemes Exchange & WP-Shop. (you don’t want cart pages cached for example – this is handled for you)
- Lazy loading images options which displays images on a page only when they are visible to the user.
- Cache Preloading: Normally a page is first cached when someone loads it for the first time. If you use their preloader option the plugin will attempt to cache every page of your site instantly for maximum benefit.
- Auto-updates option: They just introduced a feature that allows their plugin to auto update when there is a new feature (optional). There is even an option to roll back to a previous version easily if you are having problems.
- Many more advanced features for developers like: Prefetch DNS requests, never cache certain pages option, CSS / JS excludes from minification process etc.
While there are various top notch caching solutions for WordPress, some even free – WP Rocket is a robust solution that has one of the easiest setups I’ve used. If you are like me and attach a great value to simplicity and time saving then the cost of WP Rocket is well worth the investment.
Have you used WP Rocket before or another solution, let us know all about it in the comments below!
We’ve talked to the guys at WP Rocket to get you a special Themedy coupon code! Themedy customers can receive a 20% discount to WP Rocket by using the coupon code in our support forums!
We receive no financial compensation if you purchase WP Rocket, we recommend it only because we like it and think you will too.
WP RocketStarts at $39
- One click activation
- Support for the most popular WordPress ecommerce solutions
- Great minification tool
- Lazy load images