Unfortunately due to other commitments, we are no longer able to provide support for these themes.

All our themes are now free and can be downloaded by anyone to use/modify however they wish.

We want to thank all our users for their support over the years. All the best in 2020 and beyond.

Home Page Suddenly Displaying Odd Characteristics

stuart_murphystuart_murphy Lifetime Member
Hi Guys,

My homepage is suddenly displaying odd characteristics it's never done before. Is there a way to pinpoint what might have changed somewhere - back end, or Derby child settings or something? For example, the actual title of one of the widgets is being displayed on the homepage now, when it never used to.. So it's now displayed twice on the same place in the portfolio section because the proper heading was in the html code in the widget itself - it now displays that wording, AND the actual widget title, which it never used to do - the widget title was never displayed before - just the title from the html text within the widget. So it posts two lines of "Who's Hot" instead of just the html one. How could this be misbehaving now.. any ideas? I could just delete the widget title, but that's not identifying what's gone wrong.

Thank you,
Stu

Comments

• Options
    Mark_HodderMark_Hodder Administrator, Lifetime Member
    Hi Stu, it's likely a change from a WP upgrade or a Thesis upgrade. I would just do what you suggested (delete the widget title) as it's less something is wrong that needs to be fixed and more that someone has changed how something used to work (WP or Thesis) - and you need to update how you are doing it on your end.
    Need Additional Help?
    - Check out the Resource Center for helpful tutorials and hints.

• Options
    Thanks Mark. In that case, I'd prefer to problem solve id that's possible first. Am I able to roll back either Thesis, Wordpress OR my Derby through earlier versions to pinpoint exactly when it may have changed my layout? I'm sorry to ask such a daft question as I'm sure you have so much more important stuff to address, but I'd genuinely appreciate any tech method that allows me to do this physically for each of those?

S.
  • Options
    I might have misunderstood, it's more than just the widget title that is messed up then?

What was the URL of this site for me to take a look?
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    Yes, correct, not just the widget title, but really, I know it's not much more than that, I know this is basic for someone of your expertise. My site is www.AffordaBand.co.uk . I have scoured all over the place, and can't fix it. Could you possibly give me solutions to what I presume are extremely straight-forward scenarios, that oddly I can't find the solutions to yet? The two issues are:

As you see, my site displays a double "WHO'S HOT?" heading half way down the home page. It should only be the UPPERCASE one, not the lower case one.. The thing is that, not only does the lower cased one appear now, but it's contained in some mystery additional box measuring 890 x 20px that goes right across that section and adds 20px of depth, that was never there before in the default Derby theme. Not sure how that came to start displaying suddenly. So it needs to go and with it, that lower cased text - which is literally the widget title in the WP back end! - that's where the text is being generated/displayed from - it never did this before.

The next issue is directly below this section, in the "Latest News/Helpful Information" section. Under "Selecting The Perfect Live Band for Your Wedding!, March 13, 2019" there was always the default 70px deep box in which the preview text for that following linked page displayed an excerpt/small paragraph. Now, it only shows the first word: "How ..." and truncates off, leaving an ugly space in its place. That container is now only 14px deep, and truncates the text, instead of being the default 70px depth that the original Derby theme is. I don't get why, or where to fix it to go back to the default settings, just like I need the "Who's Hot" section to be back to the Derby default padding/margins etc.

I referenced your Home page of your live Derby Theme demo here - https://themedy.com/demos/?theme=derby , for these defaults.. Mine are now different for some reason and the above issues are the result.

I hope you can help. Thanks so much.
    S.
  • Options
    Hi Stuart, I went to your site to check out things but your site doesn't seem to be loading properly for me.
    Can you let me know when it's back up.
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Mark. It's back up now.. good news and bad news, in that my webhost has scanned my site, and found erros all over the place with what they say are literal Derby Theme errors. They have the site up and running again for me, and it's now rather helpfully highlighting many errors with the theme, that need to be addressed before the site can be considered reasonable coding best practice, or even approaching that. It's a real mess, it seems anyway. Can you please have a look now? Thanks..: www.AffordaBand.co.uk

Rgds,
    Stuart
    Post edited by stuart_murphy on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's not coding errors, I don't know what's going on but your missing critical Derby files. I can't even access your style sheet: https://liveweddingbands.co.uk/wp-content/themes/derby-g1/derby/style.css

I'd suggest you ask your host about restoring back to a period where your site was working properly - might be the best thing to do at this point. There's not really anything else I can do from this end without full access to your hosting, WP admin etc. and digging around.

That would be outside the scope of the support here though, but we do have paid services if this is something you are looking to hire someone to take care of, you can use the hiring link in my signature if you are interested in that.

Thanks!
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    As I post that I see an obvious issue, your site is www.AffordaBand.co.uk - looking at the source code it's trying to pull all the code from https://liveweddingbands.co.uk - which you can't do.

If you've changed your domain you also have to update your site paths in WordPress too. Here is some info on that https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003304711-Changing-all-URLs-in-your-WordPress-database - however, your host maybe able to do that for you. It's also something we could do for you via our paid services I mentioned above.
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    Thanks Mark, I was just about to point out the correct AffordaBand.co.uk domain, but you beat me to it. LiveWeddingBands.co.uk was the short-lived experiment of moving the aged/original AffordaBand website to that keyword-rich domain. But Go0 gle didn't like that, so we moved it back to AffordaBand.co.uk recently. But I presumed they'd done the move properly. I'll get it sorted. Thanks so much mate. :-)
This discussion has been closed.