Unfortunately due to other commitments, we are no longer able to provide support for these themes.

All our themes are now free and can be downloaded by anyone to use/modify however they wish.

We want to thank all our users for their support over the years. All the best in 2020 and beyond.

Grind and WPML

kgrantkgrant Lifetime Member
Hi - wondering if anyone is using Grind successfully with WPML. I've been experiencing a few issues lately and been working with WPML on the issues. I notice that Themedy themes aren't listed on the WPML site as compatible themes. Unfortunately I don't have the option to change themes at this point. Searching the forums here I find some people reporting issues with Grind and WPML - but back in 2014, I haven't seen anything recently. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues.
Kent Fackenthall
Senior Designer
Kiers Marketing | kiers.com

Comments

• Options
    Mark_HodderMark_Hodder Administrator, Lifetime Member
    Hey Kent, do you have a specific issue you can share that I can look into?

Generally, the only potential issue that would likely be related to us vs Genesis/Thesis or other plugin conflicts is a string not showing up for translation.

I also personally see more people having better success with this https://translatepress.com/ (not in relation to our themes, just in general).
    Need Additional Help?
    - Check out the Resource Center for helpful tutorials and hints.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Mark,

I'm having an issue saving Pages and Posts. It's odd, because I've been able to set up French pages and add content, but now for some reason when I make an edit to a Page or Post and hit 'Update' - I get an 'update failed' message.

I haven't added any new plugins so I don't think it's a Plugin conflict issue. I'm wondering if it's something to do with Gutenberg/Themedy/WPML not all getting along.

-Kent
    Post edited by kgrant on
    Kent Fackenthall
    Senior Designer
  • Options
    Mark,

Also, just went to my Themedy Settings page and am getting a bunch of code at the top.

Notice: screen_icon is deprecated since version 3.8.0 with no alternative available. in /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3926 Call Stack: 0.1734 5715200 1. {main}() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/themes.php:0 0.1738 5762608 2. require_once('/Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/admin.php') /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/themes.php:10 1.2954 59943288 3. do_action() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/admin.php:224 1.2954 59943664 4. WP_Hook->do_action() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/plugin.php:453 1.2954 59943664 5. WP_Hook->apply_filters() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php:310 1.2954 59944792 6. themedy_theme_settings_admin() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php:286 1.2954 59944816 7. screen_icon() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-content/themes/grind/lib/admin/themedy-settings.php:102 1.2954 59944816 8. _deprecated_function() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/includes/deprecated.php:1226 1.2954 59945136 9. trigger_error() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/functions.php:3926 Notice: get_screen_icon is deprecated since version 3.8.0 with no alternative available. in /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3926 Call Stack: 0.1734 5715200 1. {main}() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/themes.php:0 0.1738 5762608 2. require_once('/Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/admin.php') /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/themes.php:10 1.2954 59943288 3. do_action() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/admin.php:224 1.2954 59943664 4. WP_Hook->do_action() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/plugin.php:453 1.2954 59943664 5. WP_Hook->apply_filters() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php:310 1.2954 59944792 6. themedy_theme_settings_admin() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php:286 1.2954 59944816 7. screen_icon() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-content/themes/grind/lib/admin/themedy-settings.php:102 1.2968 59944816 8. get_screen_icon() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/includes/deprecated.php:1227 1.2969 59944816 9. _deprecated_function() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-admin/includes/deprecated.php:1239 1.2969 59945136 10. trigger_error() /Users/administrator/Sites/ibsltd/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/wp-includes/functions.php:3926

Screenshot
    Kent Fackenthall
    Senior Designer
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    That message looks to just be a "notice" so it's not going to be causing this. Generally, you would have notices turned off on live sites and just have them logged to a file.

The first step is to determine the exact cause.

The general process is:

1. Disable every plugin (except the main WPML) and try again, if it works reenable them one by one till it breaks again so you know the conflict.

2. Still broke with no plugins enabled, activate the default WP theme and try again.

3. Still broke and it's likely a bug with the WPML plugin itself.
    1. Disable
    Post edited by Mark_Hodder on
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    Ignore that last 1. Disable above - I'm not sure why that is showing up ha.
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Mark,

I activated the default Twenty Nineteen theme and didn't experience any issues. Went back to Genesis/Grind and the issue reappeared.

I had a thread going with WPML support on this issue as well - they said the error logs pointed to a theme issue. You can see that thread here:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/update-failed-on-page-save-update/

As I said, the issue is that often when I make edits to a Page or Post - the update fails. It works sometimes but seems to only at random. I don't know if this related to Gutenberg or not either.

I'm at a loss and a bit stuck. I have this rather large site mostly complete for my client and am now stuck on this point - a bit late in the game for me to switch to a different language plugin - especially since I've already paid for the WPML one. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Happy to provide you with Admin access if that helps at all.

-Kent
    Post edited by kgrant on
    Kent Fackenthall
    Senior Designer
  • Options
    @Mark_Hodder

In addition, I asked my hosting provider if he could see anything that might be awry from the backend. He said he was seeing an error and provided the following - I've no idea what this means, maybe you do:

[12-Feb-2019 17:44:51 UTC] WordPress database error Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '=' for query SELECT term_taxonomy_id FROM wp_term_taxonomy tt LEFT JOIN wp_icl_translations i ON CONCAT('tax_', tt.taxonomy ) = i.element_type AND i.element_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy='nav_menu' AND i.language_code IS NULL made by require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('init'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, WPML_Nav_Menu->init, WPML_Nav_Menu->_set_menus_language [12-Feb-2019 17:44:51 UTC] WordPress database error Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8mb4_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '=' for query SELECT wpml_translations.element_id, tax.term_id, tax.taxonomy FROM wp_icl_translations wpml_translations JOIN wp_term_taxonomy tax ON wpml_translations.element_id = tax.term_taxonomy_id AND wpml_translations.element_type = CONCAT('tax_', tax.taxonomy) JOIN wp_terms terms ON terms.term_id = tax.term_id WHERE tax.term_id != tax.term_taxonomy_id made by require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('init'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, WPML_Nav_Menu->init, WPML_Nav_Menu->get_current_menu, WPML_Nav_Menu->_get_menu_language, WPML_Term_Translation->lang_code_by_termid, WPML_Term_Translation->adjust_ttid_for_term_id, WPML_Term_Translation->maybe_warm_term_id_cache [12-Feb-2019 17:44:51 UTC] WordPress database error Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8mb4_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '=' for query SELECT wpml_translations.translation_id, wpml_translations.element_id, wpml_translations.language_code, wpml_translations.source_language_code, wpml_translations.trid, wpml_translations.element_type FROM wp_icl_translations wpml_translations JOIN wp_term_taxonomy tax ON wpml_translations.element_id = tax.term_taxonomy_id AND wpml_translations.element_type = CONCAT('tax_', tax.taxonomy) JOIN wp_icl_translations tridt ON tridt.element_type = wpml_translations.element_type AND tridt.trid = wpml_translations.trid WHERE tridt.trid = (SELECT trid FROM wp_icl_translations wpml_translations JOIN wp_term_taxonomy tax ON wpml_translations.element_id = tax.term_taxonomy_id AND wpml_translations.element_type = CONCAT('tax_', tax.taxonomy) WHERE element_id = 2 LIMIT 1) made by require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('init'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, WPML_Nav_Menu->init, WPML_Nav_Menu->get_current_menu, WPML_Nav_Menu->_get_menu_language, WPML_Term_Translation->lang_code_by_termid, WPML_Element_Translation->get_element_lang_code, WPML_Element_Translation->maybe_populate_cache

-Kent
    Kent Fackenthall
    Senior Designer
  • Options
    Based on your conversation over there it seems highly unlikely that Grind is the issue. From what I've read the issue seems sporadic which generally points to a resource issue with the host.

The log file info around Grind is just simple notices, not errors so very unlikely they have anything to do with this issue.

I can certainly try and see if I can determine or at least narrow down the issue for you but it's outside the scope of the support here as WPML is a third party plugin.

You can use the small tasks form here and provide me with FTP and WP admin access to the site and I can certainly do some more hands-on digging for you: https://themedy.com/enhanced-support/

You might want to wait to hear back what they say about the last error message you posted though, as that's a real error message so that would certainly be more likely to cause issues on the site.
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    Hi Mark,

Just an update on this. I've been back and forth with WPML support on this and they are working on it - seems to be an issue with their plugin. They're still working on a fix but I have a workaround for now.

One thing weird has happened though. In the back and forth of editing it seems that the Page headings have disappeared from the tops of my Pages - the reversed out block with the Page Title. See for example:

https://ns4.ibsltd.ca/pub/nbdent/public_html/www.nbdent.ca/about-us/

There's no 'About Us' at the top. They were there before. I don't know what's up.
    Kent Fackenthall
    Senior Designer
  • Options
    Great to hear, hopefully, they work something out for you.

The only thing on our end for the page headers I can think of would be under Appearance -> Themedy Settings, make sure this is checked and save the page (if it's already checked just save again anyway):

Show Custom Title and Tag area across site?
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    Mark,

That seems to have been it. Not sure how it got turned off.

Thanks.
    Kent Fackenthall
    Senior Designer
  • Options
    WPML providing fix: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/update-failed-on-page-save-update/page/3/ in case anyone else has this issue.
    Need Additional Help?

This discussion has been closed.