Unfortunately due to other commitments, we are no longer able to provide support for these themes.

All our themes are now free and can be downloaded by anyone to use/modify however they wish.

We want to thank all our users for their support over the years. All the best in 2020 and beyond.

Upgrade safe customizations

I'm new to using a child theme like themedy offers. We are just setting up the site and use ClipCart with WooCommerce. Problem I'm finding is that I'd like a couple customizations done but without destroying the ability to just hit and upgrade button when need-be and everything be safe for the most part. Is there a way to do this?

For instance, I kinda wish we didn't have the tabs woo puts on the product pages. I'd like the description and reviews on the product page but not in a tab. I'd just like users to scroll down the screen to see them like Amazon etc have them I believe.

They are also adding the sku, categories, tags, etc right under the 'add to cart' button which looks pretty jumbled up and I'd like to possibly move them around, remove them, or at least put line breaks between them.

Product images. I'd like to be able to upload maybe 10 images of a product but then only have the main image and three thumbnails display below it it. Then, when the lightbox is selected they can view the rest of the images. But right now I'm going to have to delete images that I'd like to have viewable for a product because 10 thumbnails is looking too cluttered.

Lastly, I'm trying to figure out how on earth I can add a custom field for recommended safe age groups (it's a toy store) around the area that the 'add to cart' button is.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Mark_HodderMark_Hodder Administrator, Lifetime Member
    Hi Cindy, I don't know if WooCommerce has specific ways to handle these types of things but I assume they probably have some recommendations. I would ask over in their support forums though as they would have much more information.
    Need Additional Help?
    - Check out the Resource Center for helpful tutorials and hints.

• Options
    cindy_simoneaucindy_simoneau Fremedy, Clip Cart
    I guess part of the problem is I'm not sure which parts of the theme are Themedy and which parts are Woo. So not totally sure which to ask where...
  • Options
    Hi Cindy, the problem is you'll probably need to hire someone unless you are skilled in PHP / CSS to make these types of customizations on your own. I believe everything above is essentially WooCommerce customizations from the looks of it.
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    Cindy is my mom but i had to make the purchase with her account as it's her store.

I know some php and plenty of html/css etc. I have other wordpress sites and have built half of them myself with our own custom theme. I'm not a 'developer' level but can usually do most things myself. But the whole child themes and woocommerce thing is throwing me off so I'm just trying to get a grip on it.

Thanks
  • Options
    IOW, usually I just edit our own template files and don't worry about it. Or even if I purchased a normal theme and customized it via a child theme I'd just edit those files. But now I'm purchasing a 'child theme' which seems to be the end of the journey for customizations without replacing files on upgrades. Guess that's a downside to buying a child theme.
  • Options
    Well like I mentioned in the other thread child themes don't "need" upgrades, so it's not that big of an issue.

However, If you're just doing basic stuff add it to the custom_functions.php file and CSS can be done this way: http://help.themedy.com/Genesis/Tutorials/Adding_Custom_CSS - that covers 90% of cases.
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    You might want to re-download / reinstall Clip Cart too if you're still just starting - we just pushed a new version (1.5) with some backend tweaks.
    Need Additional Help?

• Options
    Yeah, I've been doing the CSS there already.

Ok cool, I'll download the latest version.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.